Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Promises we can't keep

In the morning before I leave him for the day at school Luke always asks me the same question: "You pick me up today right Mommy?"

I respond to him with this as he looks into my eyes with a bit of desperation and on the verge of separation anxiety: "I'll always pick you up at the end of the day Luke. Always. Every day."

Then we hug, kiss and high-five to a great day with big smiles on our faces.

My babysitter lost her best friend to cancer on Saturday. She fought the battle for five years and was a mother to three great kids. I didn't know her all that well but there were days in the summer when I would get to the sitter's house to pick up the kids and she would be holding Ellie on her lap, singing to her and laughing. I've seen her every so often for the last three years and never knew she was sick. She was always so happy and smiling and there was always laughter when she was visiting.

Even though I didn't really know her, I feel the loss. My heart is heavy for her family and I feel a lump in my throat as I promise Luke that I will always be there for him. I know it is overly morose but the hard reality is that we never know what tomorrow will bring.

I am praying and begging that I will live long enough to see my children's children. I'll push it farther than that though because I want to see my great-grandchildren.

I am thankful for every day I have been blessed with. Rest in peace Dianna.

No comments: