Wednesday, November 19, 2008

PSA: Pharmacists Make Mistakes

MLs are not the same as Tsps.

Our pharmacy dispensed us new meds for Elle's persistant case of thrush, the dosage was 1/2 tsp on day one, 1 and 1/4 tsp (which seemed like an awful lot for a 4 week old) days two through fourteen. I gave her the day one and two doses and thought there was no way I was going to have enough medicine to last me twelve more days. After talking with sister-in-law and confirming it with the pediatrician we realized that the dosage was way off, it should have said 1 and 1/4 ml, NOT tsp.

I gave her four times the amount of medcine she needed in one day.

Thank God it wasn't toxic. The pharmacist sounded like he was shaking in his boots when I called up to explain. They also had the wrong prescribers name and number, Bay Optical is not my pediatrician.

Nice attention to detail, eh?

I guess we have to be our own advocates and question everything. Scary, scary stuff.

Moral of the story: Please read your medicine labels carefully and if it seems wrong, call to confirm that it's right.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

That is scary!!! I will be sure to quadruple check everything from now on!!! I finally posted some new pics of Lukas on my blog.